Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I never can be a good seller...

    People say, money is not everything, but for me , I would say money is just more than 'not everything'. Money is power, fame, health , luxury, happiness and so on. Like a thirsty man drinking salty sea water, we tend to yearn for more and more. Dissatisfied, with what we have called the principal amount, we look for profits.
    Back to some beautiful, sunny days in the year 2000, I had adventurous journey from my village to another district, with the same intention of making profits. Back then, I was immature, desirous and envious. I saw, some other person doing the same business before and benefited. I asked a friend of mine whether he would join me. Promptly, he accepted my proposal.
   Our business was just small and mean. Our commodity was jaggery, which we commonly call as 'TSA TSE BURAM' in our local language.We bought it from another village down the foothills, about 3 hours walk from our village. The next day, we headed to the place where we could sell them, that is Pemagatshel. It was a pleasant day. Dressed in Gho,   with basket full items on our back, we started our journey. It was a pleasant day and the day to be remembered.
   As I walked by, I found myself drenched in sweat. We reached the main road where occasional vehicles would travel. It did travel on that day, but who would care picking us? It was just walk and walk. I wished if people bought it on the way so that it would ease our load. It rarely did happen.  With hopes of getting money, we forgot the pains all over legs and the tiredness.
   The sun didn't stay long. It was evening by then. We were closer to one village, just 2 kilometers away from it. It was a tensed moment. Where would we go and sleep? We couldn't proceed further because we had no one whom we knew and we wouldn't even ask for a night stay in other's house. We were totally young, yet we knew how to feel shy. There were deep forests around. We decided to stay in the forests and resorted under a big tree about 15 meters below the road. We had match boxes, and lit a fire. It became completely dark by then. We had to collect fire-woods around and fortunately we found ample in the vicinity. I pretended to be gallant and he seemed to be doing so, even though, fear was eating away inside of me. I remember, it was a sleepless and dreadful  night, yet thanks to the fire for the comfort and stability rendered to us. I must say, fire loved me either, which burnt a little portion of my dress. I wised if the night wasn't too long.
    The next day started so early from the forests, we were on foot again. We reached another place where few people bought our good. Personally, it was so shameful with baskets on the back and asking people if they wanted to buy. I would ask my friend to do that, he was little better than I was. It took us a day to reach the main town and no one seemed interested in buying those sweets. Alas!, so embarrassing it was! Though, I must address the dignity of labour myself.
     Gradually, it became night by then. Where to sleep again? Tension rose in my head. As we walked by, we saw a tent where labourers used to stay and we planned to halt another night there. We were not alone. There  were some other farmers who wanted to  sleep there. I forgot from where they were. But I must say, it was just another terrible night. In the midst of the night, one man started chattering  teeth with vigorous movement of the body and started salivating.   My head was all under my gho, I feared to see. I sweated all over.   I heard other people talking that he would get well as he does like that occasionally.  Oh God! it sucked the whole night. But, basically, I now understand that he was suffering from epilepsy.
    Every daylight was a bliss at least. Even though, tiredness and embarrassment marred the beauty of the day, yet it was great compared to two fearful nights. We traveled from village to village on the third day. Some people bought them and it was a great feeling when the load became less and less. We journeyed via unknown villages and from the short cut way, we reached back to our home. Since then, I never wanted to travel again for such purposes. 

Pages